As 2017 comes to a close and we look forward to 2018, I wanted to remind everyone that the answer is not a long list of resolutions to try to stick to, but instead a short list of Absolute Yeses for the new year. There will always be a lot of noise and distractions in the world, as well as family and friends with their own agendas insisting you do what they want. But in the end, it’s your life and your choice. You get to choose what works and what doesn’t. You get to decide what brought you joy this past year and what didn’t. You don’t have to follow the crowd and mindlessly do what everyone else does.
Here are some things I did in 2017 that I loved:
- I took on more wonderful coaching clients and really enjoyed being able to connect with and help clients from all over the world.
- I continued to write this blog, and got to guest blog for Live Your Legend, which was a great experience.
- I started performing again, after a long break, and now have several gigs.
- We hosted a French girl here for 10 days and then my daughter went to Arles, France for 10 days, all of which made me feel so hopeful about the world.
- We visited Seville, Spain and fell in love with it.
Here are some things I let go of this year:
- I stopped putting up with doctors I didn’t like. I switched my internist, OB, dentist, and my daughters’ pediatrician, all of whom are much better.
- I stopped giving endlessly to one-way friendships and raised my standards for what I expect in a relationship.
- I set up boundaries around my work hours, so that I could be more productive, and screened carefully for new clients, so that I work with clients I enjoy.
- I didn’t host Thanksgiving or Christmas this year, and my family had a simple staycation this holiday. And next year, we will be traveling at Christmas, so I don’t have to spend hours buying and wrapping gifts that frankly none of us need.
- We quit going to church, after bouncing around various churches for the past 10 years, realizing that we feel more religious when helping others or hiking in the woods or traveling.
As you think about this next year, with 365 new days waiting for you to experience them, remember that how you spend your days is how you spend your life. And if you don’t have a clear plan for how they are spent, others will decide for you.
Here are my Absolute Yeses for 2018:
- Spirituality: connecting with what matters to me on a daily basis
- Health: putting my diet, exercise and sleep front and center
- Family/Friends: making sure I spend time with family and friends who matter
- Creativity: making my music and writing a top priority
- Coaching: growing my business and serving more clients from all over the world
- Adventure: making sure that my life is full of fun, travel and new experiences.
What are yours? As you seek your world stage, think about what you have to say no to in order to make room for your yeses.
Happy New Year to all of you. Wishing you a new year filled with joy and peace.